Creamy Fish Chowder
WE were tired of the same old vegetable soup and I had on hand some fish that needed to be cooked, so this was the creation of our favorite fish chowder. Occasionally, I enhance it still further by adding another vegetable, such as corn or peas, to add to color and nutrition.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups diced potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons mashed potato flakes
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 pound cod or haddock fillets, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the broth, potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, potato flakes and milk until smooth. Stir into the potato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; add fish and parsley. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until fish is opaque.
Originally published as Fish Chowder in Reminisce Extra September 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.