New England Seafood Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound whitefish fillets, skin removed
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5 medium)
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 can (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 can (4 ounces) tiny shrimp, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- Place whitefish in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat, 8-10 minutes or until fish just begins to flake with a fork. With a slotted spoon, remove fish and break into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Pour cooking liquid into a 4-cup measuring cup. If necessary, add additional water to measure 4 cups; return to pan. Add potatoes, celery and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Stir into chowder. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add clams, crab, shrimp, butter, pimientos, salt, pepper and reserved fish; heat through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 174 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 597mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 12, 2018
This is a favorite and I make it several times every winter. Guests love it too.
May 31, 2015
Mar 9, 2012
I love this recipe. I have made it twice in two weeks. This recipe is quick and easy to make. It has rich full-bodied flavor without being heavy. It is very satisfying.
Mar 26, 2010
I believe there was a typographical error in the recipe. It states remove fish and breadinto bite sized pieces, I think it should havebeen, remove fish and break into bite sized pieces.
Jan 17, 2010
One ingredient is missing - bread. In the cooking directions, in the 1st paragraph, it says,"remove fish & bread into bite size pieces; set aside. What bread?