New England Seafood Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 1 pound whitefish fillets, skin removed
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5 medium)
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 can (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 can (4 ounces) tiny shrimp, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- Place whitefish in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat, 8-10 minutes or until fish just begins to flake with a fork. With a slotted spoon, remove fish and break into bite-size pieces; set aside.
- Pour cooking liquid into a 4-cup measuring cup. If necessary, add additional water to measure 4 cups; return to pan. Add potatoes, celery and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Stir into chowder. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add clams, crab, shrimp, butter, pimientos, salt, pepper and reserved fish; heat through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 174 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 597mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Nov 12, 2018
This is a favorite and I make it several times every winter. Guests love it too.
May 31, 2015
Mar 9, 2012
I love this recipe. I have made it twice in two weeks. This recipe is quick and easy to make. It has rich full-bodied flavor without being heavy. It is very satisfying.
Mar 26, 2010
I believe there was a typographical error in the recipe. It states remove fish and breadinto bite sized pieces, I think it should havebeen, remove fish and break into bite sized pieces.
Jan 17, 2010
One ingredient is missing - bread. In the cooking directions, in the 1st paragraph, it says,"remove fish & bread into bite size pieces; set aside. What bread?