Healthy Clam Chowder
"I make this chowder for our annual Souper Bowl luncheon at work, and everybody loves it!" comments Chris Sheetz of Olmsted Falls, Ohio. "I've slimmed it down by using both reduced-fat margarine and mushroom soup." Tender chunks of red potatoes add color and texture to her thick chowder.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat margarine
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 6 medium unpeeled red potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute the mushrooms, celery and onion in margarine until tender. In a bowl, whisk the soup, clam juice and wine or broth; stir into vegetable mixture. Add the potatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Add clams; cover and simmer for 5-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.