Manhattan Clam Chowder
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons minced green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over low heat. Add onion, celery, green pepper and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes. Add water and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, clams, salt, thyme, pepper and cayenne; heat through. Stir in parsley. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 91 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 652mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 23, 2017
Good soup! I followed the recipe exactly.
Jul 22, 2015
Glad to see no bacon. The butter definitely makes up for that. I subbed sage and bay for the thyme, replaced potatoes with red bell pepper and added a bit of Old Bay seasoning (I am from Maryland, btw). It was very delicious. Table side, served it with crusty bread and home-made hot sauce. Thanks for sharing!!!
Jan 12, 2015
Easy to make, flavor great, family loved it. I doubled the recipe for 8 people. 2 servings for each , each served with bread and salad. Chowder all gone, I will make this again,, the family loved it!,,
Nov 8, 2013
will make it again everyone loved it Thank you
Feb 22, 2013
Manhattan clam chowder is rare find in stores or restaurants in my hometown and vicinity when I do find it I love it. But this recipe is better than any where I have found dinning out. Try it if your a fan of this style of chowder.
Aug 18, 2009
This recipe was very good. I put it in the crock pot and let it simmer all day. It was a little watery. I think next time if I use the crock pot, I will use half the amount of water.