Instant Pot Clam Chowder
If you like your chowder on the thick side, add an additional tablespoon of flour after it is done in the Instant Pot. Clam chowder is especially tasty when served with a sprinkle of fresh thyme, bacon crumbles and crispy oyster crackers on top. — Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams, undrained
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Oyster crackers and fresh thyme, optional
- Place first 10 ingredients in a 6-qt. electric pressure cooker. Drain liquid from clams; add to pressure cooker and set clams aside. Lock lid; make sure vent is closed. Select manual setting; adjust pressure to high and set time for 15 minutes. When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer's directions.
- Select saute setting and adjust for low heat. Mix flour and cream until smooth; stir into soup. Cook and stir until slightly thickened, 6-8 minutes. Stir in clams; heat through. Serve with bacon and, if desired, crackers and fresh thyme.