New England Clam Chowder
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes10-12 servings (3 quarts)
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts milk
- 3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- 2 to 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add flour; stir until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain potatoes; add to Dutch oven. Add clams and remaining ingredients; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 254 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 678mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Jan 6, 2015
I didn't care for the spices added to this recipe. I'll go back to my old recipe.
Feb 17, 2014
My husband and son both said this was a restaurant-quailty chowder! It is absolutely delicious. I was looking for a little thicker soup (just my preference), so instead of milk, I used half-and-half. And I added a fourth can of clams! :)One great thing about this recipe: the ease!
Jan 17, 2014
I liked the flavor of this soup. Next time I will cook the potatoes a bit with the onion and celery to add a bit more flavor and a bit more cream.
Dec 24, 2013
This recipe is fabulous!
Nov 13, 2013
Due to a previous comment, I used half of the thyme, but still did not care for the flavor. I wanted mine thick and creamy, so I used a quart of half and half and a quart of whole milk. I was pleased with the results. I added 2 minced garlic cloves and finely diced celery with the onions. I omitted the celery salt and sage. Overall, I was satisfied with my chowder, but it just wasn't my favorite.
Oct 7, 2013
Best clam chowder ever!
Oct 29, 2012
I did not like the thyme in this recipe, the worst clam chowder I have ever had.
Oct 13, 2012
Delicious, especially now since the weather is getting colder! My husband and I loved it, and he keeps telling me he isn't a soup person .... but he keeps asking for more! We both added a little more pepper! I didn't have celery salt, but had celery flakes and added a tad more salt. Excellent!
Oct 5, 2012
Great soup! I added 3 additional cans of clams.
Sep 10, 2012
Clicked off before the stars!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.