Contest-Winning New England Clam Chowder
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 4 center-cut bacon strips
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 3 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half, divided
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. Saute celery and onion in the drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the potatoes, water, clam juice, bouillon, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 cup half-and-half until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in clams and remaining half-and-half; heat through (do not boil). Crumble the cooked bacon; sprinkle over each serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 260 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 788mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Jul 12, 2019
It should be noted that the recipe says simmer covered for 15 to 20 minutes until potatoes are done. However, in the video it shows that the dish is covered while simmering for 15 to 20 minutes you might want to clarify that
May 26, 2019
Just finished making this and it’s wonderful, not bland at all as previous reviewers stated. I also used chicken “better than bouillon” as the author had mentioned as well as a shake of Worcestershire. This is a keeper!
May 3, 2019
Sorry but the Lady who said it's not "New England" is absolutely right ! Half the ingredients in this recipe do NOT belong in a true N.E. clam chowder, Thyme ? Chicken broth ? garlic ? bacon ? Half
Apr 24, 2019
This recipe was my “baby “quite a few years ago. It was intended as a healthy chowder. We all evolve in our cooking and these days I use Chicken”Better than Bouillion” , umami, good splash of fish sauce and Louisiana Hotsauce.Shelby said the chowder was bland, I don’t get that, and I’m sorry ,But when you want more “rich” use full fat half n half or whip cream add ,more bacon,add butter! And to the lady who says its not “New England” , I always thought New England meant white chowder and Manhattan is red chowder. It may have originated on east coast but we west coasters do some fine chowder too! ! And thanks to those that liked the recipe from the start!;-)
Apr 13, 2019
I made this Clam Chowder and I will make it again, the chowder was just delicious.
Mar 3, 2019
Just made this. From the sample taste, it is wonderful! Rich and creamy. I used 1.5 cups of heavy cream and i/2 cup half and half. Subbed basil for the thyme. Delish!! Can't wait for dinner to have a whole serving!!
Feb 19, 2019
I followed the directions, no adding or subtracting, and this is the most tasteless chowder I've had. Looking through other recipes now to see what I can do to doctor it up. Will give it 2 stars for creaminess, but so bland.
Feb 3, 2019
This is my family's new favorite Clam Chowder recipe! Absolutely delicious!! The only change to the recipe I made is I used heavy whipping cream ONLY because I misread the recipe. This recipe is definitely a keeper!! Thanks for sharing it.
Jan 19, 2019
I followed this recipe to the extent my ingredients would allow. I didn’t have half and half on hand, so I used a cup of heavy whipping cream and about 3/4 cup of milk, as not to make it too thick. Still ended up with a very tasty, very creamy, hit the spot soup and will be making it again! My only other tweaks were a pinch more garlic (because I LOVE me some garlic!) and black pepper. It was so delicious!
Jan 17, 2019
I followed the recipe with 2 exceptions, I used heavy cream instead of half and half and I added half a cup of fresh carrots. If using these exceptions make sure the carrots are in small cubes so they are done at the same time as the potato cubes. The heavy cream made the soup good and thick. The recipe is easy to follow and in my opinion one of the best clam chowders that I have ever tasted. Rates as good as any clam chowder I had in Bar Harbor.