Contest-Winning New England Clam Chowder
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 4 center-cut bacon strips
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 3 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half, divided
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. Saute celery and onion in the drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the potatoes, water, clam juice, bouillon, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 cup half-and-half until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in clams and remaining half-and-half; heat through (do not boil). Crumble the cooked bacon; sprinkle over each serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 260 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 788mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Jun 24, 2018
Why do reviewers always feel the need to tell the story of how many changes to the recipe they made? Just review the original recipe. If you want to describe your custom recipe, get your own blog! Anyway, great chowder 5 stars.
Jun 13, 2018
Great authentic tasting chowder! I used one cup of chicken stock and omitted the bouillon and water. I also found that it needed a little more liquid to thin out so I added more stock until I got the consistency I desired. It was delicious. Will make again.
Jun 6, 2018
didn’t use thyme in mine
May 18, 2018
I’m sorry, but you lost me at chicken bouillon granules....Really? You won a contest?
Apr 26, 2018
The family loved the recipe, I doctored it up a little bit by adding 2 bottles of clam juice, to go along with the 2 small cans of clams, also a 1/2 cup of white wine, a teaspoon, of Worcestershire sauce, 2 Bay Leaves, a dash of Tabasco, 1/4 cup of chopped carrots . It was outstanding the best I've ever made,Thanks so much!
Apr 8, 2018
I have tried many clam chowder recipes over the years. This one is by far the best and most closely resembles New England or San Francisco restaurant style. I did double the amount of flour to make a little thicker.
Mar 31, 2018
Delicious!!! Very easy to follow
Mar 21, 2018
I made a shrimp stock since I did not have clam juice ,used fresh clams out of the shell given to us from a friend in Maine ,added shrimp to the chowder and I used full fat half and half other than that I followed the recipe . This chowder turned out completely amazing .
Mar 11, 2018
This is delicious. BUT it should NOT be called New England chowder. No garlic, thyme, celery.
Feb 25, 2018
I have been using this recipe for about 2 years and my whole family loves it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.