Contest-Winning New England Clam Chowder
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 4 center-cut bacon strips
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 3 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half, divided
- 2 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. Saute celery and onion in the drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the potatoes, water, clam juice, bouillon, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 cup half-and-half until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in clams and remaining half-and-half; heat through (do not boil). Crumble the cooked bacon; sprinkle over each serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 260 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 788mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Feb 24, 2020
As a novice at cooking I found this easy to follow thanks to the video, and the soup was delicious. First class. Many thanks!
Feb 10, 2020
Very good and SO easy. I didnt have white pepper or thyme which I think would make it better. My husband, who grew up in the green mountains of Vermont, loved it. The bacon sprinkled on too was a great addition.
Jan 14, 2020
I used 2 cans chopped clams,1 can minced 3 bottles clam juice half n half full flavored one chick bullion cube,big one mine turned out great.
Jan 10, 2020
Just ok. I made the recipe exactly as published. Had very little sea food flavor. Noticed many of the positive reviews were from people who added/doubled the clams. Hard to rate higher if modifications have to be made to make it taste good. Also it never thickened properly which is OK if you prefer thinner canned soup consistency.
Dec 27, 2019
My husband and I thought it was just okay.
Dec 6, 2019
Nov 25, 2019
This was a super great jumping off point for those of us that can’t remember the last time we’ve made Clam Chowder ??. I made this on a late night craving
Nov 19, 2019
Absolutely delicious and really easy. I doubled the clams and eliminated the thyme and it was perfect. Dad ate two huge bowls and said it was the best clam chowder he has ever had. I will make this again!
Nov 10, 2019
Recipe was good, next time I’ll cut the thyme in half and increase the clams. Over all it was easy to make. It was my first clam chowder and I was super pleased. Looking forward to making this again.
Oct 25, 2019
I just made this recipe and it is absolutely delicious!!!The only thing I did different is that I used regular half-and-half. However after reading the reviews I might just try it with the fat free half-and-half to cut down on cholesterol I will definitely make this recipe again