Hearty Manhattan Clam Chowder
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 7 hours
Makes6 servings (about 2-1/4 quarts)
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Place all ingredients in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables are tender, 7-9 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 203 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 995mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 24, 2018
This clam chowder is delicious! I doubled the recipe so I have plenty to freeze in single serve containers for packed lunches. Only change I made was to add some fresh parsley. I love the flavor of the bacon in this recipe.
Jan 4, 2017
Absolutely loved this!! Will definitely add it to my regular rotation! I made this on the stovetop in a couple hours while I was home on a Sunday - you don't need the slow cooker unless you want to, but you do need time for it to thicken. This freezes beautifully in individual portions for quick weekday meals!I used two time-saving steps: I didn't peel my potatoes, since the skin contains most of the nutrients, and I used jarred real bacon pieces because I always make such a mess frying bacon.