Crusty French Loaf
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, oil, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; return to bowl. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a 16x2-1/2-in. loaf with tapered ends. Sprinkle a greased baking sheet with cornmeal; place loaf on baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. With a sharp knife, make diagonal slashes 2 in. apart across top of loaf. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 109 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Feb 23, 2018
I made this a month ago and since then my family has demanded I make it twice a week and I have yet found it to be bad it always turns out great recipe thank you
Aug 24, 2017
I love this recipe. The taste and texture is perfect. The loaf is similar to the size sold in grocery store bakeries, so it's pretty large.
Dec 18, 2016
marrisa_sDid you go through both the rising cycles before you froze the second loaf?Thanks, Darlenne
Dec 14, 2016
Can you freeze the bread after baking
Mar 13, 2016
Made it exactly as directed. Perfect!! Great texture, lovely brown slightly crunchy crust.
Feb 18, 2014
Easy and yummy
Aug 29, 2013
Great recipe. I have used it several times always turns out perfectly.
Apr 28, 2012
This was my first time making bread and it was easy! It turned out great and was delicious! I took the advice from the other reviewers and doubled the recipe and froze the 2nd loaf, also I didnt have any cornmeal on hand so I skipped that and it still turned out great :)
Feb 22, 2012
Wonderful bread. Seems silly to make just one loaf so I make a double recipe. Great with Meatballs, or anything you want a good slice of bread with. Only problem with making this is that there are no leftovers!
Jan 16, 2011
This is the recipe! Look no further. I have made two loafs today. So easy. Oh and the taste!My first one came out a little flat so the second one I made rounder. Love it! Thank you!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.