Crusty French Loaf
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 to 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, oil, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; return to bowl. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a 16x2-1/2-in. loaf with tapered ends. Sprinkle a greased baking sheet with cornmeal; place loaf on baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. With a sharp knife, make diagonal slashes 2 in. apart across top of loaf. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 109 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 20, 2019
Easy recipe, bread turned out wonderful! It looks great and tastes great! Family loved it, definitely a keeper. It's not hard-crunchy crust like artisain French bread, it's more like store bought French bread. Delicious!
May 21, 2019
It's a family favorite.
Feb 23, 2019
I just made this bread for dinner. O M G it's so easy and delicious! Definitely sharing this one!
Jan 22, 2019
Easy! It took me a half hour to prep it and clean up! Then the hour for rise and 25minute bake time... just made it a waiting game. So good! I did not have cornmeal, didn't need it. I think I will experiment with adding garlic next time. This one goes in the keeper box!
Feb 23, 2018
I made this a month ago and since then my family has demanded I make it twice a week and I have yet found it to be bad it always turns out great recipe thank you
Aug 24, 2017
I love this recipe. The taste and texture is perfect. The loaf is similar to the size sold in grocery store bakeries, so it's pretty large.
Dec 18, 2016
marrisa_sDid you go through both the rising cycles before you froze the second loaf?Thanks, Darlenne
Dec 14, 2016
Can you freeze the bread after baking
Mar 13, 2016
Made it exactly as directed. Perfect!! Great texture, lovely brown slightly crunchy crust.
Feb 18, 2014
Easy and yummy