Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 1-1/4 cups water (70° to 80°)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted, optional
- In bread machine pan, place the first five ingredients in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Roll each portion into a 10-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal.
- Sprinkle a greased baking sheet with cornmeal; place loaves seam side down on prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Whisk egg and water; brush over loaves. With a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 50 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 20, 2015
I was thrilled with this recipe!! Easy to make, and it turned out great!!
Dec 25, 2014
Picture perfect! Absolutely delicious recipe. Wouldn't change a thing. I used to have this bookmarked from Allrecipes, but apparently it's a Taste of Home recipe! I should've known! :)
Jul 1, 2014
So good! So easy! I followed the recipe exactly and it was wonderful! I will make it again and again.
Feb 5, 2014
This is my go-to bread recipe. Sometimes I divide the dough into 12 parts and make sandwich rolls. Turns out perfect, every time!
Oct 21, 2013
Made a couple of mistakes, all mine. But it still turned out great. Next time I will not watch 3 different videos of how to make bread. Just do as the directions say. Will make again and again. Thank youThis is the second time and they turned out great. The only change I made was no egg wash, forgot we had used the last. But everything turned out great.
Sep 29, 2013
Very good. Tastes just like a true French Bread from the bakery.
Nov 9, 2012
First recipe I tried besides my standard french bread recipe - this was very easy to make and so good! And the egg wash, slashes and sesame seeds really make it look gorgeous :)
Oct 21, 2012
Wow! This recipe was so easy. I was skeptical because I didn't think I would be able to make French bread, but it turned out great! I will be making this many times. My husband loved it and was very impressed that my homemade french bread turned out like the bakery!
Aug 22, 2012
This is the best french bread recipe! I originally found it on another site and it disappeared. I contacted the site and they told me I could find it here. Made my day!!
Oct 3, 2011
This is a keeper!