Baked French Toast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 8 ounces day-old French bread, unsliced
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Freshly grated nutmeg, optional
- Fresh blueberries or raspberries
- Confectioners' sugar
- Cut bread into 1-in.-thick slices. Arrange in a single layer in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Lightly beat next 6 ingredients; stir in milk and cream. Pour egg mixture over bread, turning once to coat. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Turn bread again to coat. For topping, combine flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and, if desired, nutmeg. Sprinkle flour mixture over bread.
- Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean and topping is golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Top with blueberries or raspberries; sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 297 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
May 13, 2020
My husband liked it. He suggested a cream cheese icing. I ended up baking it for like 55 minutes. I think that was too long for around the edges, yet the bread itself was still mushier than I prefer. It stuck a little to the ceramic dish as well. Flavor wise it was pretty good though.
Dec 29, 2019
Haven't made yet but will this Wednesday morning for our anniversary breakfast! Thank you.
Jan 11, 2019
Made this for Easter brunch -Easy, impressive looking and devoured! Received rave reviews and family members posted to social media because of how fabulous it was!
Nov 1, 2018
My husband and I LOVE this recipe!! Easy to make and gives great leftovers to have with fresh fruit.