Baked French Toast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 8 ounces day-old French bread, unsliced
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Freshly grated nutmeg, optional
- Fresh blueberries or raspberries
- Confectioners' sugar
- Cut bread into 1-in.-thick slices. Arrange in a single layer in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Lightly beat next 6 ingredients; stir in milk and cream. Pour egg mixture over bread, turning once to coat. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Turn bread again to coat. For topping, combine flour, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and, if desired, nutmeg. Sprinkle flour mixture over bread.
- Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean and topping is golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Top with blueberries or raspberries; sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 297 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 128mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Jan 11, 2019
Made this for Easter brunch -Easy, impressive looking and devoured! Received rave reviews and family members posted to social media because of how fabulous it was!
Nov 1, 2018
My husband and I LOVE this recipe!! Easy to make and gives great leftovers to have with fresh fruit.