French Toast Bake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 12 slices day-old French bread (1 inch thick)
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Arrange bread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, 3/4 cup brown sugar, vanilla and nutmeg; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Sprinkle pecans over egg mixture. Combine butter and remaining sugar; drizzle over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with blueberries. Bake 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts2 pieces: 599 calories, 28g fat (9g saturated fat), 183mg cholesterol, 455mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 4g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 19, 2017
I stumbled across this recipe several years ago and have continued to make it since. I love that it is assembled the night before and morning prep is so easy. It is so delicious and probably my favorite weekend breakfast recipe. I also add a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to mine. Perfect with a hot cup of coffee.
Nov 8, 2015
Delicious easy recipe
Feb 20, 2014
Good and easy recipe. But i feel that the egg mixture is little less. May be 8 eggs and 4 cups milk? I used half a challah loaf but the mixture did not immerse the bread.
Dec 16, 2013
I've made this for Christmas Brunch 2 years in a row. This will be the 3rd year as I've had many requests for it. The entire family loves it - great recipe and can be conveniently made ahead.
Sep 13, 2012
I made this recipe twice already.Its really good with vanilla ice cream and custard. Thumbs up
Dec 31, 2011
I made this for Christmas morning and although everyone really liked the flavor, the bottom was soggy to the point that you could pour out a lot of extra liquid and the tops of the bread was so crunchy hard that it was almost inedible. I had to stand the bread up to get it all to fit in the pan so that may have a lot to do with it. Good flavor but I will continue to search for another similar recipe.
Nov 19, 2011
While I thought this dish had a great flavor and looked beautiful coming out of the oven, my husband and kids gave it a thumbs down. They didn't care for the "mushy" bread.
Jan 4, 2011
I was delighted to find this recipe again. I had subscribed to the magazine years ago and this has always been a favorite. Was not able to locate after our last move! YIPPEE, I found it again!
Dec 30, 2010
This is such a versatile recipe. I have made it with raspberries, peaches, and blueberries so far. It is a hit every time!
Dec 18, 2010
This was super easy, and everyone loved it.