Sesame French Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, oil, salt and 4 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half. Roll each half into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Roll up from a long side; seal well. Place with seam side down on greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Beat egg white and water; brush over loaves. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover with plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray; let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- With a very sharp knife, make four shallow diagonal cuts across top. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 99 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 13, 2018
Made bread yesterday to have with pot of soup. Both husband and I really liked it. He cut few slices after coming out of oven. Bread has very tender crumb and we liked the crust. Mixed bread in Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Was very easy to make and plan on making again.
Nov 2, 2017
Best bread I've ever made or eaten. Easy to make too! It was a big hit.
Mar 5, 2016
Excellent texture and easy!!
Sep 30, 2015
My. Family loved this. No more running to the store for French bread.
Feb 18, 2015
I make this whenever we have Italian. We love it and it is so much better then from the store.
Mar 9, 2014
Needed another cup or so of flour, that could be b/c I am at a high elevation. Delicious tho'
Nov 10, 2013
Family favorite! Love this bread! When we make extra loaves, we freeze them and when we warm them up in the oven (wrapped in foil), they come out crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, perfect!!
May 19, 2013
I made this bread and impressed my family with my baking abilities.
Mar 19, 2013
love this bread
Mar 15, 2013
Tasty and easy recipe!! highly recommended!