Crusty Homemade Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups water (70° to 75°)
- 3-1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal or additional flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a large bowl, mix 3-1/2 cups flour and salt. Using a rubber spatula, stir in yeast mixture to form a soft, sticky dough. Do not knead. Cover and let rise at room temperature 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; pat into a 9-in. square. Fold square into thirds, forming a 9x3-in. rectangle. Fold rectangle into thirds, forming a 3-in. square. Turn dough over; place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise at room temperature until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and repeat folding process. Return dough to bowl; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Dust bottom of a disposable foil roasting pan with cornmeal. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Knead gently 6-8 times; shape into a 6-in. round loaf. Place in prepared pan; dust top with remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Cover pan and let rise at room temperature until dough expands to a 7-1/2-in. loaf, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500°. Using a sharp knife, make a slash (1/4 in. deep) across top of loaf. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake on lowest oven rack 25 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 450°. Remove foil; bake bread until deep golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Remove loaf to a wire rack to cool.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without add-ins): 105 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 29, 2018
This is my go to bread. I make several Times a year. I have added many fill-in variations but the original is the most popular. I bake mine in a dutch oven.
Oct 27, 2018
This bread is fantastic!! So easy! Everyone loves it. I have made it plain or with herbs!
Oct 4, 2018
I could not believe how good this bread turned out. It had a crusty surface as promised with a soft crewy interior. I made a big pot of soup to go with it. Next time I will add shredded cheddar cheese to the dough to mix it up. Can’t wait to see how good that is.
Oct 2, 2018
I make something similar to this in a large bowl add 3 cups bread flour, 1 tsp. yeast, 1 tsp salt and 2 cups water. Mix all together cover. Let sit overnight and make the next morning. Pre heat ove to 450°. I use a Dutch oven. Put Dutch oven in oven while it is preheating. Next dump dough onto floured surface. Take a bench scraper and scrape dough edges to middle. Do this a few times then let sit for 1/2 hour. Dough is very sticky. After 1/2 hour remove lid from Dutch oven and place dough inside . Replace lid and cook 1/2 hour. When times up remove lid and bake another 15 minutes. I'm going to give your recipe a try. It looks yummy.
Oct 2, 2018
I made this yesterday and I had my doubts but it’s fabulous.
Jun 2, 2018
May 28, 2018
I've done this recipe 4 times already. It's a success every time! Thank you for sharing this recipe!Could you direct me to another crusty bread recipe with quick oats as 1 of the ingredients?Thank you!
May 13, 2018
there is nothing like the smell of fresh baked bread and i love to make it, this is a keeper in my book. i often bake it to take to my neighbors and they also rate it very highly
Apr 9, 2018
OMG, absolutely delicious. You need to follow the directions exactly and it will come out looking like the picture! And the taste is stellar. Thanks Megumi for a great bread recipe. We ate over half the loaf in one sitting.Answering "Mary's question" about the foil pan, if you don't buy a foil one use a 9x9 square, that should work, but a foil roasting/baking pan from the local grocery store works perfect.
Apr 5, 2018
"Foil roasting pan????" Does it come one size only? What is an equivalent regular kitchen pan? I will not buy a foil pan.