Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (105° to 115°)
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in milk, butter, sugar, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down and divide in half. Shape into two loaves and place in greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 min.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, covering with foil during last 5 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 135 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 10, 2019
My previous review has gone away! It's been several years ago now, but one Sunday evening when there was a snowstorm raging outside I discovered that we were out of sandwich bread. So I did a quick search of the TOH website, pulled up this recipe and made half a recipe (1 loaf). I mixed the dough and ran it through the first rising in my bread machine, then shaped it, placed it in a loaf pan, did the second rising and baked it. It was really, really good. What I liked was that it called for ingredients I already had on hand, since I wasn't about to try to drive to the grocery store during a heavy snowfall.
Oct 30, 2018
This bread recipe can't have enough good reviews! I LOVE THIS BREAD! I have been making it for a while and my family loves it. Both loaves disappear in a day! This is THE bread recipe I use. It's soo good and makes an amazing soft and delicious loaf each time! The perfect toast, sandwich, french toast, gift and munching bread!! If you have been looking for a great sandwich bread recipe, you've just struck Gold my friend! The ONLY thing I have found is that you have to watch your dough while mixing in the flour. I can't get 6-7 cups in. I only get about 5-6. It depends on how "thirsty" your flour is.
Mar 11, 2018
Love love love this recipe easy and delicious !!!!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2018
This is the best recipe for white bread! My husband made it this afternoon for us. Thank you Denise for sharing this keeper!
Mar 10, 2017
Love this recipe. It's never failed me yet. It stays moist for several days. I add flax seed and whole wheat at times, does very well. Its my favorite bread recipe.
Aug 4, 2016
Good recipe. I did use half white and half whole wheat flour. I wasn't going to make this as I don't use dry milk. One other reviewer said she used 1/4 cup of half and half instead of the dry milk. I made the bread substituting half and half, and it turned out great. That is one of the things I like about Taste of Home. If you don't have everything the recipe calls for, just read the reviews and you will probably come across someone who was able to change the recipe a bit to make it work for them.
May 19, 2016
I LOVE, this recipe, i,VE been baking bread for years, and this one is the best! I don't have powdered milk, so I just put in instead 1/4cup of half and half and it's DELICIOUS! !!!!! I T S #10 ALL THE WAY!!??????????RATING IS 10 STAR.
Jul 29, 2015
Nothing like the smell of fresh baked bread. I fight for those end pieces! Will be making this again!Nonfat dry milk powder is a dry milk. When water is added, you get "milk." Can be found in the baking aisles of grocery stores.
Apr 29, 2015
What exactly is " nonfat dry milk powder"? please advise
Feb 26, 2015