- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups water (70° to 75°)
- 3-1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal or additional flour
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 4 teaspoons grated orange zest
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. In a large bowl, mix 3-1/2 cups flour and salt. Using a rubber spatula, stir in yeast mixture to form a soft, sticky dough. Do not knead. Cover; let rise at room temperature 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Pat into a 9-in. square. Fold dough into thirds, forming a 9x3-in. rectangle. Fold rectangle into thirds, forming a 3-in. square. Turn dough over; place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover; let rise at room temperature until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and repeat folding process. Return dough to bowl; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Dust bottom of a disposable foil roasting pan with cornmeal. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead in cranberries and orange zest. Shape into a 6-in. round loaf. Place in prepared pan; dust top with remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Cover; let rise at room temperature until dough expands to a 7-1/2-in. loaf, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500°. Using a sharp knife, make a slash (1/4 inch deep) across top of loaf. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake on lowest oven rack 25 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 450°. Remove foil; bake until deep golden brown, 25-30 minutes longer. Remove loaf to a wire rack to cool.
1 piece: 129 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.