Rustic Multi-Grain Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, rye flour, sugars, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the milk, water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four pieces. Roll each into a 15-in. rope. Twist two ropes together; pinch ends to seal. Repeat with remaining dough. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 119 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 4, 2012
Fabulous bread! Easy recipe. Thank you Taste of Home!! I think I will try adding cinnamon and raisins to my next loaf. Can't wait for my friends to try it :)
Mar 17, 2010
I rate this bread SUPER! I make it again and again.
Oct 7, 2009
I work as a cook at a senior resident home. We have to cook all their meals from scratch. I made this bread for them, and they absolutely loved it. Besides being there favorite bread, it is healthy and wholesome for them. Great bread recipe!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.