Cranberry Banana Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (about 2 whole crackers)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in bananas. Combine the flour, cracker crumbs, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in walnuts and cranberries. Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 230 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 29, 2017
I am going to give it 4 stars. Only because I was up very early one morning and thought I would bake this brrad. Thought I had everything and didn't. Had to substitute shortening for stick butter and I did not have dried cranberries only fresh. So with that said I thought it was ok. I will bake again with the unchanged ingredients and see. ??
Jan 4, 2016
This bread was so good, I had 3 slices while it was still warm. There goes dinner!I used 2 C flour and added some cinnamon and nutmeg to omit the crushed graham crackers. Also, craisins plumped in hot water for 10 minutes (and squeezed out a little) are much softer and nicer than as they come. Next time I would probably add another banana, but as you can see by everyone's changes listed in the reviews, this recipe is very flexible and forgiving. I will make it again soon. Delicious!
Nov 27, 2013
I followed directions exactly and the bread was wonderful. Next time I had some zucchini to use up so I added 1 cup shredded and squeezed zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and baked it the full 55 minutes. Scrumptious!
Dec 28, 2011
Very good bread. I added applesauce to mine
Dec 10, 2011
Would make a good present. I put walnut halves on top to decorate. I used vegetable oil. It was pretty and delicious.
Jan 2, 2010
I really enjoyed all the flavors and textures of the fruit and nuts.
Dec 25, 2009
It makes a great Christmas gift. We love it.
Dec 23, 2009
Moist & delicious; it's a keeper
Dec 15, 2009
this will be a new addition to my holiday baking every year. Tasted soooo good. everyone loved it.