Cranberry Banana Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cinnamon graham cracker crumbs (about 2 whole crackers)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in bananas. Combine the flour, cracker crumbs, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in walnuts and cranberries. Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 230 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 29, 2017
I am going to give it 4 stars. Only because I was up very early one morning and thought I would bake this brrad. Thought I had everything and didn't. Had to substitute shortening for stick butter and I did not have dried cranberries only fresh. So with that said I thought it was ok. I will bake again with the unchanged ingredients and see. ??
Jan 4, 2016
This bread was so good, I had 3 slices while it was still warm. There goes dinner!I used 2 C flour and added some cinnamon and nutmeg to omit the crushed graham crackers. Also, craisins plumped in hot water for 10 minutes (and squeezed out a little) are much softer and nicer than as they come. Next time I would probably add another banana, but as you can see by everyone's changes listed in the reviews, this recipe is very flexible and forgiving. I will make it again soon. Delicious!
Nov 27, 2013
I followed directions exactly and the bread was wonderful. Next time I had some zucchini to use up so I added 1 cup shredded and squeezed zucchini and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and baked it the full 55 minutes. Scrumptious!
Dec 28, 2011
Very good bread. I added applesauce to mine
Dec 10, 2011
Would make a good present. I put walnut halves on top to decorate. I used vegetable oil. It was pretty and delicious.
Jan 2, 2010
I really enjoyed all the flavors and textures of the fruit and nuts.
Dec 25, 2009
It makes a great Christmas gift. We love it.
Dec 23, 2009
Moist & delicious; it's a keeper
Dec 15, 2009
this will be a new addition to my holiday baking every year. Tasted soooo good. everyone loved it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.