Banana Wheat Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 4 hours
Makes1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 16 slices)
- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium ripe banana, sliced
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Freeze option: Freeze sliced loaf in resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, thaw at room temperature.
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 125 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Jan 18, 2019
Excellent, I did not use a bread machine, but my mixer with the dough hook. I thought it was fabulous, not too banana tasting but a nice soft bread that is very versatile.
Mar 10, 2017
I did not use a bread machine. I used water at a temperature of 110 to 115. I stirred the water, honey, egg, oil, vanilla, banana, and poppy seed until blended, then added the liquid to 1 cup the the bread flour and 1 cup of the wheat flour, salt and yeast, and then gradually added flour as I kneaded the bread into a soft dough. I let rise until doubled, about an hour, punched the dough down, placed in a bread pan and let rise another hour, and then baked at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes. I got a beautiful loaf of bread. Will definitely make it this way again!
Jun 6, 2015
Made this twice; according to recipe and both times it turned out great!
Apr 29, 2015
If you dont have a bread machine, should the water be warmer than 70-80 degrees, and does it make any difference how you put the ingredients in, if you have a kitchen aid mixer? Haven't made it, but sounds awesome.
Apr 29, 2015
I do not have a bread machine. Can you make this without one? Sounds delicious
Jan 27, 2009
Fantastic! I haven't used my machine in a while, this was agreat reintroduction to it. I didn't have bread flour so used regular flour and white whole wheat. Light, crispy crust,big loaf. Not sweet due to the banana at all.
Aug 3, 2008
This recipe turns out a good, lighter loaf. I was unsure about the banana but the flavor is very subtle and would go unnoticed if one wasn't told.