Banana Nut Bread
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Additional walnuts, semisweet chocolate chips or coarse sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Beat butter and sugar until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in banana and sour cream. Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture, stirring just until moistened. Fold in 1/2 cup walnuts.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. If desired, sprinkle with additional walnuts.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Dec 22, 2016
the recipe was so easy to make, used pecans instead, don't like walnuts, added 1/2 c of dried cranberries and 1 1/4 c mashed bananas, will definitely make this a again
Jan 12, 2013
I found this recipe to have very little flavor...but I did change it some to suit our needs: I did not use real butter because of a dairy allergy, used about 1 1/3 cups mashed banana, 1 cup whole wheat flour + 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour and did not add any nuts. I might try it again using the entire amount of all-purpose and not substituting any whole wheat flour, but unfortunately, I will have to remain with the dairy-free margarine and no nuts.
May 1, 2012
The bread turned out perfect. My whole family enjoyed eating this with some butter. My five year old daughter loved smooshing the bananas. I did add some pumpkin spice along with the cinnamon. I will make this again.
Jan 31, 2012
YUM! Great with whole wheat flour.~ Theresa
Dec 19, 2011
I save bananas to a zip bag in my freezer as they start to get too ripe, so when I have enough...I bake this bread! But I DOUBLE the amount of the bananas...it makes such a rich, dark, moist loaf. Very good!
Aug 16, 2011
Apr 7, 2009
Very good. I increased the bananas to 1 1/4 c but still could use more or use some banana extract. Also, added 1/2 c. mini chocolate chips. I bake mine in two pans 7 3/8 x 3 5/8 for 45 min.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.