Banana Raisin Bread
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
Makes1 loaf (2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 4-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- In bread machine pan, place the first nine ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Just before the final kneading (your machine may audibly signal this), add raisins and walnuts.
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 140 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 112mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 27, 2014
This bread was pretty good. The flavor reminded me of a fragel. A cinnamon and raisin bagel they used to sell at the bagel shops. Except they deep fried those. This is a lot healthier. I accidentally used the whole egg and forgot the vegetable oil and the bread still was good. Only change I intentially made was soaking the raisins for about 10 minutes in hot tap water to plump them up a bit. I will make this again. ty
Aug 23, 2014
We love this bread, have made it lots of times and it's perfect toasted for Sunday breakfast. We chop up and freeze ripe bananas so that we always have some to use. I also put a bit more banana in than the recipe states - 3 little ones or 2 big ones.
Sep 11, 2011
Excellent! Simple, moist, dense and just sweet enough. I was hesitant to make a yeast banana bread but I was pleasantly surprised. I will be making this on a regular basis! (I think French toast will be delicious with this bread, too!)
Sep 11, 2011
Jun 15, 2011
I can hardly believe there is no sugar in this, There is the honey of course but so small amount. I used raw honey. Great bread recipe!
Mar 21, 2010
This turns out great not using the bread machine too. Nice change from quick banana bread.
Jan 17, 2010
I was super pleased with this recipe. Most bread machine recipes I've tried are too heavy or too dry, but this loaf was just right. Nice texture and excellent flavor with the hint of cinnamon.
Dec 21, 2009
Absolutely would recommend. I've made this several times for myself and others and everyone LOVES it. Plus-factor, pretty healthy too since no sugar or milk.
Mar 21, 2009
This bread is so much moister than the recipe that came with my bread machine. Will definitely make it again. Hubby can't eat nuts so had to elimanate them.