Apple Raisin Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes3 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 to 9 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled apples
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, 1/2 cup water and sugar; set aside. In a large bowl, combine eggs, applesauce, honey, oil, salt and remaining water; mix well. Stir in yeast mixture. Gradually add enough flour to form a soft dough. Knead on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down and turn over in bowl. Cover and let rise 30 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the apples, raisins and lemon juice. Divide dough into 3 parts; knead a third of the apple mixture into each part. Shape each into a round flat ball. Place each in a greased 8-in. round baking pan that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Brush each loaf with egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 135 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 15, 2020
OMG! This recipe is a DEFINITE keeper! We made one change. Switched Dried Cranberries for the raisins. This decision was made simply because no body in our house will eat cooked raisins. When we make this again, I plan on adding a bit of Orange Extract.
Feb 21, 2012
This is well worth the time and trouble
Jan 15, 2008
I have made this recipe many times and it is excellent!