Apple Walnut Bread
I first made this bread when I was in high school in 1929. The recipe has stood the test of time! —Helen Rebic, McAllen, Texas
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 4-1/2 teaspoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped tart apple
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixtures. Fold in apple and walnuts. Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 199 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Apple Walnut Bread in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.