Maple, Nut and Apple Bread
This beautiful bread is rich, sticky and hearty—everything a decadent holiday bread should be. The strong flavors of walnut, maple and apple set off by rich spices give this bread the taste of something far more sinful. —Katherine Wollgast, Florissant, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2 to 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, sugar, butter, egg, salt, maple flavoring, cardamom, wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Line two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans with 15x4-in. strips of parchment paper, letting ends extend up sides; grease paper. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a 14-in. circle. In a small bowl, combine filling ingredients; spread half of filling over each circle. Cut each circle into 16 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide ends and arrange in prepared pans.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Lifting with parchment, remove from pans. Remove parchment; let cool on a wire rack. Mix together confectioners' sugar, maple flavoring and enough milk to reach drizzling consistency. Drizzle loaves with glaze and maple syrup.
Test Kitchen Tip
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 161 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Originally published as Maple, Nut, and Apple Coffee Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018