Maple Nut Banana Bread
Banana bread rises to a whole new level when you add maple syrup, sour cream and pecans—and a cinnamon-spiced streusel. It’s a comforting, home-style treat for breakfast or any time of day.—David Dahlman, Chatsworth, California
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl, mix bananas, sour cream, maple syrup and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with banana mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in pecans.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. For streusel, in a small bowl, mix flour, sugars, butter and cinnamon until blended. Stir in pecans; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
For mini loaves: Transfer batter to four greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans; top with streusel. Bake in preheated 350° oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. For muffins: Transfer batter to 16 greased or paper-lined muffin cups; top with streusel. Bake in preheated 350° oven for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. For mini-muffins: Transfer batter to 4 dozen greased or paper-lined mini-muffin cups; top with streusel. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. For Nutella Cream Cheese: In a small bowl, beat 8 ounces softened cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup Nutella and 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream. Pipe onto muffins or use as a spread for bread. Yield: 1 cup.