Maple Nut Banana Bread
Banana bread rises to a whole new level when you add maple syrup, sour cream and pecans—and a cinnamon-spiced streusel. It’s a comforting, home-style treat for breakfast or any time of day.—David Dahlman, Chatsworth, California
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a small bowl, mix bananas, sour cream, maple syrup and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with banana mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in pecans.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. For streusel, in a small bowl, mix flour, sugars, butter and cinnamon until blended. Stir in pecans; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool.
For mini loaves: Transfer batter to four greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans; top with streusel. Bake in preheated 350° oven for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. For muffins: Transfer batter to 16 greased or paper-lined muffin cups; top with streusel. Bake in preheated 350° oven for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. For mini-muffins: Transfer batter to 4 dozen greased or paper-lined mini-muffin cups; top with streusel. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. For Nutella Cream Cheese: In a small bowl, beat 8 ounces softened cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup Nutella and 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream. Pipe onto muffins or use as a spread for bread. Yield: 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts1 standard-loaf slice: 353 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 416mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Maple Nut Banana Bread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014