Banana Nut Yeast Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the bananas, sugar, milk, butter, salt, eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in nuts. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff batter. Do not knead.
- Spoon into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 125 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 62mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 26, 2017
This was delicious and easy! Makes a dense and moist "egg style" bread with nice banana flavor! Mixed this Chrismas Eve and refrigerated overnight before allowing to rise Christmas morning for an hour or so before baking.I believe if we would have allowed to raise and bake immediately the bread would have been lighter, but we enjoyed it as it was! We followed the ingredients except for omitting the nuts. I loved that this was a "no knead" bread which saved time and effort! It makes delicious toast and may try making french toast with this banana-y bread! Less sweet and heavy than banana quick bread, and more versatile as well,!