Makeover Banana Nut Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or rum extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar for 2 minutes or until crumbly. Beat in egg, then egg white, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Stir in the bananas, applesauce, honey and extract. Combine the flours, baking soda and salt; gradually add to banana mixture just until moistened.
- Pour into a 9x5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake at 325° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 165 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 7, 2017
Moist and flavorful. I didn't put the nuts on top. Still looking for that perfect recipe. Don't get me wrong this is good just not hitting home for me. Something is missing that I can't put my finger on.
Jun 8, 2016
Good but needs to be more moist.
Mar 2, 2015
Absolutely delicious! I always need to bake it longer than the suggested time for it to cook through... but so yummy!
Jan 11, 2015
Delicious Banana Bread! Best I've ever made :)
Jun 10, 2013
Underrated! AMAZING!!!! I made 17 cupcakes without nuts, and baked at 350 for 27 minutes. Only 4 Weight Watchers points!
Jan 18, 2013
Amazing! I like to slice it and freeze the loaf as it doesn't keep very long. Perfect to heat up for a quick breakfast.
Nov 18, 2012
Nice banana flavor, moist, and holds together well. I am not crazy about the nuts on top, just a personal preference, so next time will mix into batter as another reviewer suggested. It's definitely a keeper especially since hubby liked it!
Jul 5, 2012
I made this recipe as is and loved it. The bread is so moist and has much more banana flavor the standard banana bread recipes. I liked putting the nuts on the top. This gives the nut burst up front as opposed to being "buried" inside the bread.
Jan 16, 2012
One small issue I have with this recipe is that I can kind of taste the honey. It's not bad, but it'd be best if it tasted more banana-like. Good recipe though.
Jan 16, 2012
We have made this recipe many times. I sometimes use 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 cup white flour. Turns out fine too. Also, instead of sprinkling chopped pecans on top I sometimes sprinkle on peanuts or chocolate chips.