Special Banana Nut Bread
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes2 loaves (12 slices each)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans, divided
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Fold in 1 cup pecans.
- Transfer to two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake loaves, covering with foil if they darken too rapidly, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 1-1-1/4 hours. Cool 10 minutes before removing to wire racks.
- While loaves are still slightly warm, whisk glaze ingredients. Drizzle over loaves, using a baking pan or parchment paper under racks to catch excess. Cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 234 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 12, 2019
I’ve been making this great recipe for 7-8 years. It’s like having 3 desserts in one. I’ve given it many times as a gift. Everyone that I’ve given it to loves it.
Sep 17, 2019
I have been using this recipe for many years, exactly as written and it has always come out perfect. Most people who taste it tell me that I make the best banana bread they have ever had.
Feb 3, 2019
Boy, I made this and it was an epic fail. Not sure what went wrong. With all the 5 star rating, I must have really done something wrong although I can not figure out what it was. The pecans on top definitely burnt as was warned. But also the sides and bottom really burnt yet there was a thick layer near the bottom that was soggy and unbaked. I must get a oven thermometer to check my temperatures. What was edible was yummy.
Apr 17, 2018
This was phenomenal!
Mar 23, 2018
Excellent recipe!! I add 1 tsp banana extract and reduce the sugar to 1 cup. To release the bread from the pans, I place wax paper to fit the bottom. Grease the wax paper and sprinkle cinnamon/sugar on the paper. Don't grease the sides so that the batter can rise to its maximum. While the pans are still warm, not hot, run a knife along the sides, turn out the loaves on a cooling rack. I do not use the glaze. I use two 9 x 5 pans and bake all my dessert breads at 325 degrees.
Feb 24, 2018
I followed the recipe exactly, and it’s delicious, with pleasing texture and flavor. I have a favorite banana bread recipe that I have used for years, but I like this one because it is less sweet. I am partial to orange flavor, so the orange glaze really put this bread over the top. Beverly, I live in Ellicott City so we’re practically neighbors! Thank you for an excellent recipe.
Oct 4, 2017
This is an excellent banana bread. Easy to assemble and delicious. Will definitely be making this again. I had about a half of cup of chocolate chips that I threw in as well. the hint of chocolate with the orange sauce was awesome.
Aug 17, 2017
The best banana nut bread ever! The only change that I made was the nuts. I put the whole cup in the batter but didn't put any on the top until I glazed the loaves and then I only sprinkled a few. Utterly delicious******
Aug 4, 2017
Been using this recipe for over five years. Best ever! Started out following recipe then changed!! Have put in chocolate chips ,left out nuts, when did use nuts it was mostly pecans, and just lightly put sugar on bottom and sides. Not too many changes because it is great as is. I just made another copy of recipe.
May 4, 2017
Made for teachers along with several other banana bread recipes and this was the first thing gone. Very delicious!