Homemade Banana Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 medium)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, bananas, butter, coconut and extract. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts and cherries.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 285 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 13, 2015
This is a good Banana Bread recipe. I did substitute chopped strawberries for the cherries. So good.
Dec 18, 2014
I have made this recipe for years. I received it from a friend, but her recipe calls for 3/4 C chocolate chips,. Everything else is exactly the same. It has become a holiday tradition in our house and I give it as gifts as well. Yum!
Sep 5, 2012
This was a very moist and tasty bread. But, I really didn't taste the coconut. I will add more coconut, since I like that next time .I don't like maraschino cherries and it didn't take away from the taste.
Mar 9, 2011
This bread was moist and very yummy. I didn't have any maraschino cherries but, strangely, I did have some cherry-flavored dried cranberries, so I used those instead and they added an interesting, somewhat tart flavor. The almond extract is perfect with the cherry flavor!