Homemade Banana Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 medium)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, beat the eggs, bananas, butter, coconut and extract. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts and cherries.
- Transfer to a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 285 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 13, 2015
This is a good Banana Bread recipe. I did substitute chopped strawberries for the cherries. So good.
Dec 18, 2014
I have made this recipe for years. I received it from a friend, but her recipe calls for 3/4 C chocolate chips,. Everything else is exactly the same. It has become a holiday tradition in our house and I give it as gifts as well. Yum!
Sep 5, 2012
This was a very moist and tasty bread. But, I really didn't taste the coconut. I will add more coconut, since I like that next time .I don't like maraschino cherries and it didn't take away from the taste.
Mar 9, 2011
This bread was moist and very yummy. I didn't have any maraschino cherries but, strangely, I did have some cherry-flavored dried cranberries, so I used those instead and they added an interesting, somewhat tart flavor. The almond extract is perfect with the cherry flavor!