Apple Nut Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 cup grated peeled apple
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and 1 cup sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in apple and nuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9x5-in. loaf pan. Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 226 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 221mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 23, 2017
I used a granny smith apple and brought this to work. It was wiped out. People were raving over it. Great reaction and it was so quick and as easy to make. Definitely a keeper!
Aug 4, 2014
This is a delicious bread but DOES NOT Freeze well. I have had 3 people tell me this b/c I sell it at an annual bake sale. If eaten fresh, it is delicious.
Nov 8, 2010
I took this to church for a morning snack. Many loved that it had a bit of sweetness on the top, but the bread wasn't overly sweet. I used walnuts that I toasted...I always prefer my nuts in cooking to be toasted! This would also be wonderful with toasted pecans! Very nice and would be wonderful with a cup of coffee or tea!