Caramel Apple Coffee Cake with Walnuts
I created this recipe after a trip to an orchard with my family. This moist cake is full of hearty apples and nuts, while the caramel topping adds a delectable finish. —Sharon Cable, Dyersville, Iowa.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups chopped peeled apples (about 3 medium)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 10-in. fluted tube pan; dust with flour, tapping out extra.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in apples.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, milk and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand to thicken slightly. Spoon slowly over cake. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Editor’s Notes: To remove cakes easily, use solid shortening to grease plain and fluted tube pans. To toast nuts, spread in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 280 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 268mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Caramel Apple Coffee Cake in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.