Walnut-Apple Snack Cake
Hungry for harvesttime? This tasty cake puts the season's best in the spotlight. Featuring apples, walnuts, spices and toffee bits for sweetness, it will satisfy you to the core. —Barbara Zaverson, Hudson, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/3 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fold in the apples, toffee bits and walnuts.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Serve with ice cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 241 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Toffee Apple Brownies in Country Woman August/September 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.