Apple-Walnut Cake with Orange Glaze
I tinkered with a plain apple cake recipe to create this moist, delicious winner. The result: old-fashioned goodness with a heavenly aroma! This cake is the perfect fall treat or holiday dessert, but it’s also great as a special breakfast or brunch item. —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 325°. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray; dust with flour, tapping out extra.
- Beat first six ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, pie spice, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Fold in apples and walnuts. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 65-75 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack; cool slightly.
- Mix confectioners' sugar, orange zest and enough juice to reach a drizzling consistency. Spoon over warm cake.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 316 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Dec 17, 2019
The cake was easy to make but it needs a little more moisture, after baking. Made it two days before a get together and it takes good but needs more moisture to it. Came out a little dry. Might need more Apple sauce possibly.