Apple-Walnut Cake with Orange Glaze
I tinkered with a plain apple cake recipe to create this moist, delicious winner. The result: old-fashioned goodness with a heavenly aroma! This cake is the perfect fall treat or holiday dessert, but it’s also great as a special breakfast or brunch item. —Lisa Speer, Palm Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 325°. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray; dust with flour, tapping out extra.
- Beat first six ingredients until well blended. In another bowl, whisk together flour, pie spice, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Fold in apples and walnuts. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 65-75 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack; cool slightly.
- Mix confectioners' sugar, orange zest and enough juice to reach a drizzling consistency. Spoon over warm cake.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 316 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Apple Walnut Spice Cake with Orange-Cider Glaze in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.