Old-Fashioned Apple Walnut Cake
The aroma and flavor of this old-fashioned tube cake will remind you of cakes your grandma made! The apple-walnut combination makes it perfect for fall...and it can be served for breakfast, brunch or dessert.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 3 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and mace; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in apples and nuts. (Batter will be very stiff.)
- Spoon into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan bake at 325° for 1 hour and 25 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool 10 minutes in pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 405 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Apple Walnut Cake in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook