Old-Fashioned Apple Walnut Cake
The aroma and flavor of this old-fashioned tube cake will remind you of cakes your grandma made! The apple-walnut combination makes it perfect for fall...and it can be served for breakfast, brunch or dessert.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 25 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 3 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and mace; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in apples and nuts. (Batter will be very stiff.)
- Spoon into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan bake at 325° for 1 hour and 25 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool 10 minutes in pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 405 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Apple Walnut Cake in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.