Walnut Coffee Cake
This has been in the family some time. I am now a great-grandmother myself (I have one little great-granddaughter; in addition, I have three grandchildren and a son), and it's one of the recipes that my mother used to make long ago. I've lived on the farm where I was brought up all my life. I am a jack-of-all-trades in the kitchen, and my husband and I both enjoy hunting. -Beatrice Richard, Posen, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream the cream cheese, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in walnuts. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- For the topping, combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Stir in walnuts. Sprinkle over coffee cake.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 383 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.