Mother’s Walnut Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups ground walnuts
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, shortening and granulated sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and vanilla. Beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in ground walnuts.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter. Add confectioners' sugar; mix well. Beat in vanilla until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 685 calories, 35g fat (16g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 475mg sodium, 86g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Dec 12, 2019
This has become my best cake yet above all the other cakes I make. Absolutely delicious. I poured my batter into 2 - 9" pans instead of 3 - 9" pans. Makes thicker layers and need to bake a little longer. Have to watch it and give the toothpick test until its ready. Had plenty of frosting leftover since going with just a 2 - layer.
May 17, 2019
This was so easy to make! The middle of my cakes fell, but this doesn't affect the look at all after frosting. One mistake I made was rationing the frosting as a comment below stated the person made a double batch of frosting. One batch is PLENTY. When I make it again, I won't be so stingy as I ended up throwing some frosting away.
May 7, 2018
We made this cake yesterday and it was fantastic! I added to one layer pastry cream and I put peaches and apricots jam to the other layer. Covered with cream cheese frosting! Thank you for sharing this recipe!
Dec 8, 2012
hello, I would love to make this cake, but I do not understand what "shortening" is. as I'm from Slovakia, cannot find it out. Can you please, explain? Thank you so much, Michaela.
Dec 19, 2011
I just baked this cake today....delicious....probably will have to bake another one BEFORE the 25th. I used a sheet cake pan and guessed baking time. If anyone could tell me the exact time....I would appreciate it. I baked it for 50 minutes...little long? Anyway, this recipes is a keeper. We loved it!
Mar 26, 2011
This is asked for EVERY Birthday by my daughters. It is delicious, although I double the frosting. What can I say... it's delicious!
Mar 22, 2011
This is a really good moist cake, I did cut the recipe in half, since it's just two of us. No problems at all. Glad to add this to my keepers.