Sour Cream Walnut Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg, separated, room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar; beat in egg yolks and lemon zest. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. In another bowl, beat egg white until soft peaks form; fold into the batter.
- Pour into a greased 6-cup fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and juices. Bring to a boil. Brush over warm cake. Cool completely.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 1, 2019
The amount of sugar is missing from the cake recipe. Only the sugar for the glaze is mentioned. Please correct.
Dec 12, 2009
This recipe has been in my family for as many years as I can remember, at least 40-50. I love it. It is simple to make, tastes great, and is easily modifiable. You can double or triple the recipe and cook it in tin cans for easy gifting at the holidays, or you can make one big one for Christmas desert. Its my favorite cake, truly scrumptious.