Black Walnut Coconut Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped black walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs and extract until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in coconut and walnuts.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and extract.
- Remove cake from pan to a wire rack. Poke holes in warm cake with a skewer; slowly pour syrup over cake. Cool completely before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 629 calories, 31g fat (6g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 247mg sodium, 80g carbohydrate (54g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 17, 2014
Any cake that has black walnuts in it has got to be good-and this one is GREAT!
Mar 4, 2014
Most grocery stores have black walnuts in the baking isle . They may be seasonal in some areas. The taste will not be the same with any other nut. I tried to add 5 stars but it would only let me add one.
Mar 4, 2014
where do I find black walnuts????? I rated one star because you have to click a star just to ask this question.
Sep 21, 2012
I have made this cake several times and it is perfect each time! I always get rave reviews! Thanks for sharing! :)
Aug 5, 2012
Excellent flavored cake
Jun 15, 2011
Absolutely fabulous special occasion cake
Mar 10, 2011
Since I didn't have any coconut extract, I substituted almond extract, and it was excellent! I'm sure the coconut extract would give the cake a lot more coconut flavor, and I'll buy some next time I make this cake. I'm happy to say my results looked just like the picture, and it was moist and delicious.
Feb 26, 2011
I tried printing recipe three times, and all times it only printed 1 page out of 2, why?