Coconut Cream Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 3 large egg whites
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 13x9-in. pan with cooking spray.
- Beat cake mix, egg whites, water and coconut on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Mix milk and extract. Using a large meat fork, poke holes in cake. Gently spread half of the milk mixture over cake; let stand 3 minutes. Spread with remaining milk mixture; cool 1 hour.
- Spread with whipped topping; sprinkle with toasted coconut. Refrigerate, covered, until cold, about 4 hours.
Editor's NoteTo toast coconut, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 231 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 266mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 29, 2018
Instead of coconut flavoring in milk try the milk and cream of coconut milk mixed together that is what I use. and my family loves it.
Jun 28, 2018
This is delicious! I just substituted full fat versions so it's healthier.
Sep 1, 2014
Apr 17, 2014
This is absolutely delicious and so easy to make. Hard to believe it is low fat! A definite keeper! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Aug 29, 2011
Made this for a family bbq. Everyone raved about how moist it was. My mom didn't even guess that the frosting was cool whip and she is a cake decorator. This recipe is a keeper!
Jul 22, 2009
Sounds very good. I am going to make this for a work potluck next week.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.