Chocolate Almond Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour cream and extracts; mix well. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, cream butter, sugar and extracts in a small bowl until smooth. Add milk until frosting achieves desired spreading consistency. Spread over cake. Decorate with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 370 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 2, 2016
@235gbt - Really? 1/2 teaspoon is too much sodium? Wow. Did you even make the cake or did that immoral 1/2 teaspoon of salt earn it the lowly one star? In my opinion, it's a delicious cake. For the pious eaters out there just leave out the salt and don't rate a recipe if you haven't bothered to make it.
Mar 24, 2016
I love chocolate and almond together. This cake is very moist and delicious. I skip the frosting and drizzle chocolate ganache over the cake and garnish with toasted sliced almonds.
Jan 23, 2016
that sure is a lot of sodium for 1 slice of cake! I would have to do some major changes to fit n2 my healthy way of eating!
Jan 17, 2015
I love a hint of almond in baked goods. This homemade cake and frosting are delicious and the almond is a great addition. This cake is worth the extra effort and is pretty to look at.
Feb 8, 2012
I made this for my mom's birthday and she absolutely adored it. It has a perfect blend of both chocolate and almond. It's perfectly balanced so there isn't too much of anything.
Nov 7, 2011
When my husband and I were dating we used to plan adeventrues. For his birthday I planned an outing that included a picnic with this cake for dessert. However, I skipped the frosting a simply dusted it with powdered sugar. It was a hit and has been made every year since. This year I used a double batch of the cake recipe for my daughter's 2nd birthday to make the Taste of Home Brown Bear Cake (https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Brown-Bear-Cake), which was also a hit. I have made the cake 2 or 3 times since as a bundt cake and frosted it with the frosting recipe from the brown bear cake. The results are a very rich and delicious treat.
Mar 19, 2010
Delicious! Chocolate and almond flavors complement each other in this cake. I made no changes in this recipe---wouldn't want to! My family thoroughly enjoys this dessert.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.