Chocolate Almond Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons whole milk
- Sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sour cream and extracts; mix well. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50-55 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, cream butter, sugar and extracts in a small bowl until smooth. Add milk until frosting reaches desired spreading consistency. Spread over cake. Decorate with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 370 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 2, 2016
@235gbt - Really? 1/2 teaspoon is too much sodium? Wow. Did you even make the cake or did that immoral 1/2 teaspoon of salt earn it the lowly one star? In my opinion, it's a delicious cake. For the pious eaters out there just leave out the salt and don't rate a recipe if you haven't bothered to make it.
Mar 24, 2016
I love chocolate and almond together. This cake is very moist and delicious. I skip the frosting and drizzle chocolate ganache over the cake and garnish with toasted sliced almonds.
Jan 23, 2016
that sure is a lot of sodium for 1 slice of cake! I would have to do some major changes to fit n2 my healthy way of eating!
Jan 17, 2015
I love a hint of almond in baked goods. This homemade cake and frosting are delicious and the almond is a great addition. This cake is worth the extra effort and is pretty to look at.
Feb 8, 2012
I made this for my mom's birthday and she absolutely adored it. It has a perfect blend of both chocolate and almond. It's perfectly balanced so there isn't too much of anything.
Nov 7, 2011
When my husband and I were dating we used to plan adeventrues. For his birthday I planned an outing that included a picnic with this cake for dessert. However, I skipped the frosting a simply dusted it with powdered sugar. It was a hit and has been made every year since. This year I used a double batch of the cake recipe for my daughter's 2nd birthday to make the Taste of Home Brown Bear Cake (https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Brown-Bear-Cake), which was also a hit. I have made the cake 2 or 3 times since as a bundt cake and frosted it with the frosting recipe from the brown bear cake. The results are a very rich and delicious treat.
Mar 19, 2010
Delicious! Chocolate and almond flavors complement each other in this cake. I made no changes in this recipe---wouldn't want to! My family thoroughly enjoys this dessert.