Almond Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 2-3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 6 tablespoons refrigerated regular or amaretto-flavored nondairy creamer
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the cake, pudding mix, water, oil, eggs and extract; beat until combined. Stir in 2 cups chocolate chips.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine the creamer and remaining chocolate chips. Cook over low heat until chips are melted; stir until smooth. Cool for 45 minutes. Drizzle over cake. Garnish with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 390 calories, 21g fat (8g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 9, 2018
This cake is in my oven right now. Two cups of chocolate chips seemed like a lot. I will let you know.
Feb 19, 2014
I love this moist and dense cake. It is so easy to make and good enough to serve guests. I'm not a fan of amaretto, so I wasn't too sure that I would like the flavor. But, it is a subtle almond flavor. The 2 cups of chocolate chips in the batter were delicious. A special treat in every bite. I actually used 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips in the frosting and increased the almond creamer to 9 teaspoons heavenly. It was like ganache all over the cake. After pouring the topping all over the cake, I quickly refrigerated it so it would harden. It was like a layer of fudge on top!
Dec 10, 2013
This sounds very easy and tasty. For PTuttle, the coconut pecan topping would be the "frosting" if you were making it as a regular german chocolate cake. You wouldn't need it in this recipe. Use for something else, or discard it.
Sep 11, 2012
I took this cake to a group and they loved it. It is so moist. Even the person who is not into desserts loved it.
Aug 29, 2012
This cake is easy, moist, and delicious! It's one of those great looking desserts that is not time consuming. Guests love it. My cake mix was not the 18 oz. mentioned about, but was 15 oz...it still worked great. As far as the question of the coconut topping, I personally wouldn't add it, but I'm not a coconut fan anyway. :) And for the creamer, I buy the small little tubs that don't need refrigerated. That way they're on hand and won't go bad before I need them again. It takes 8 tubs to equal the 6T. I would also would recommend letting the cake and glaze cool completely before drizzling. Then it won't run as much and I personally like the look of it better.
Jul 29, 2012
I have a question. If you buy a German chocolate cake mix it comes with a packet of coconut pecan topping. Do you mix it into the cake, or do you not use it?
Jan 28, 2012
Easy cake for an occasional dessert at home and works well for potluck dessert.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.