Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, butter and extracts until blended. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in 2/3 cup blueberries.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with remaining blueberries. Combine the almonds, brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 179 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 252mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Aug 10, 2014
This was very good. I will make it again.
May 16, 2013
Not sure why it's award winning. The whole top is covered with almonds and I just tasted the crunch of almonds. I feel it overpowered the cake.
Apr 1, 2011
This is delicious. I made it for a brunch for my bible study group and everyone loved it. Many wanted the recipe.
Jun 27, 2010
This was soooooo yummy!! I'm making it again today and it will be gone today too!!
Apr 23, 2010
Made it few times and it turned out great,almonds give it special flavor..
Mar 12, 2010
So simple to put together. My husband and I enjoyed this as it was my first attempt at a coffee cake. Would make it again:)