Chocolate Macaroon Cake
"This cake is always popular with chocolate lovers, including my five children," notes Saburo Aburano of Ann Arbor, Michigan. "I got the recipe from a dear friend more than 30 years ago."
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- CAKE BATTER:
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cold brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a small bowl, beat egg white on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in coconut and flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved; set aside.
- In another large bowl, cream shortening and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Combine coffee and buttermilk. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee mixture, beating well after each addition. Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour half of the batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan with removable bottom. Drop coconut filling by spoonfuls over batter. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Immediately invert cake onto a wire rack; cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around side of pan and remove.
- In a small bowl, beat frosting ingredients until smooth and creamy. Spread over the top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 441 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Macaroon Cake in Taste of Home June/July 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.