Almond Danish Coffee Cake
Filled with almond paste, sugar and butter, this pastry will melt in your mouth. It's a must for me to make each holiday.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 coffee cakes (12 serving each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (8 ounces) almond paste, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Sliced almonds
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in water; let stand for 5 minutes and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and remaining sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg and cream to yeast mixture. Add to flour mixture; stir to form a stiff dough. Divide in half; cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- In a small bowl, beat the almond paste, brown sugar and butter until smooth. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 15x6-in. rectangle. Spread filling down center third of dough to within 1/2 in of edges. Beat egg and water; brush over edges of dough.
- Fold sides over filling; seal seam and edges. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cut five to six small slits in top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over coffee cakes. Sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 156 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Danish Coffee Cake in Country Woman Christmas 1999