Almond Danish Coffee Cake
Filled with almond paste, sugar and butter, this pastry will melt in your mouth. It's a must for me to make each holiday.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 coffee cakes (12 serving each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (8 ounces) almond paste, cubed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Sliced almonds
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in water; let stand for 5 minutes and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and remaining sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg and cream to yeast mixture. Add to flour mixture; stir to form a stiff dough. Divide in half; cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- In a small bowl, beat the almond paste, brown sugar and butter until smooth. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 15x6-in. rectangle. Spread filling down center third of dough to within 1/2 in of edges. Beat egg and water; brush over edges of dough.
- Fold sides over filling; seal seam and edges. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cut five to six small slits in top. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over coffee cakes. Sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 156 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.