Oatmeal Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + standing Bake: 35 min.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the oats and boiling water. Let stand for 15 minutes or until cooled.
- In another large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the oat mixture; mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine the topping ingredients; spoon over top of warm cake; broil about 4 in. from heat for 3-4 minutes, or until top is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 405 calories, 22g fat (12g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 376mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 16, 2017
This cake is very good. Moist and easy to make. My husband doesn't like chocolate cake but he sure enjoyed this one!
Jan 1, 2015
Delicious! The 13 x 9-inch cake would have been too much for us, so I made a half recipe (8 x 8 inch pan). The cake was excellent. The topping was a little too brown, so be careful to watch it closely. I believe it was my oven, as I had it under the broiler for only two minutes. The cake was still excellent. I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for such a good cake recipe!
Jan 27, 2014
I have made this recipe for years and it's always been a big hit. Family favorite and so easy. Usually have all the ingredients on hand.