Microwave Oatmeal Cake
This cookie has a yummy topping. I keep my eye out for good microwave recipes like this delicious cookie.—Ruby Williams, Bogalusa, Louisiana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- Dash salt
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine oats and water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-2 minutes or until thickened, stirring once; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs until well blended. Beat in vanilla and oat mixture. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to oat mixture until combined.
- Pour into a greased 11x7-in. microwave-safe dish. Shield corners with small triangles of foil. Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 6 minutes. Cook on high for 6 minutes or until when center is touched, cake clings to finger while area underneath is almost dry. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Combine topping ingredients in a microwave-safe dish; microwave, uncovered, on high for 4-5 minutes or until thicken and bubbly, stirring every 2 minutes. Spread over warm cake.
Editor's Note: Shielding with small pieces of foil prevents overcooking of food in the corners of a square or rectangular dish. Secure foil firmly to dish and do not allow it to touch insides of microwave.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 605 calories, 28g fat (15g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 567mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (57g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Microwave Oatmeal Cake in Taste of Home February/March 2000