Chocolate Malt Pudding Cake
When I make this warm, comforting cake, I “chop” the malted milk balls by putting them in a plastic bag and pounding it with a rubber mallet. It completely eliminates the mess.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 2 hours + standing
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped malted milk balls
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup malted milk powder
- 1-1/4 cups boiling water
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed
- Vanilla ice cream and sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine milk, oil and extract. Combine flour, brown sugar, cocoa and baking powder; gradually beat into milk mixture until blended. Stir in milk balls and chocolate chips.
- Spoon into a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine sugar and milk powder; stir in water and cream cheese. Pour over batter (do not stir).
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Turn off heat. Let stand 15 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream; sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without ice cream): 430 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Malt Pudding Cake in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.