Chocolate Spice Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons brewed coffee, room temperature, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons baking cocoa, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and 1/2 cup coffee. Combine the flour, 1/4 cup baking cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, allspice, salt and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture until blended. Fold in raisins and walnuts.
- Pour into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and remaining baking cocoa and coffee; drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 284 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 5, 2017
A great dessert for something a little different than your average cake. Made this for a birthday party and it was fantastic!
May 20, 2010
Made this cake yesterday and everyone enjoyed it completely. I will definitely make this one again.