Chocolate Spice Cake
My husband really enjoys this delightful cake. Eye-catching enough for a special occasion, this is so good you’ll want it any day of the week. —Karen Sue Garback-Pristera, Albany, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons brewed coffee, room temperature, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons baking cocoa, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and 1/2 cup coffee. Combine the flour, 1/4 cup baking cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, allspice, salt and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture until blended. Fold in raisins and walnuts.
- Pour into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and remaining baking cocoa and coffee; drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 284 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 196mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Goldie's Applesauce Delight Cake in Healthy Cooking April/May 2010
Feb 5, 2017
A great dessert for something a little different than your average cake. Made this for a birthday party and it was fantastic!
May 20, 2010
Made this cake yesterday and everyone enjoyed it completely. I will definitely make this one again.