Malted Milk Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring, optional
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup malted milk powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely crushed malted milk balls
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Batter may appear curdled. If desired, beat in flavoring. In another bowl, whisk flour, milk powder, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and cocoa alternately with milk until smooth. Spread frosting over cake; sprinkle with crushed malted milk balls.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 455 calories, 20g fat (13g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 9, 2018
Made this for a reunion
Sep 9, 2015
The mix for the chocolate cake was really good but the icing was a little runny. It was good but runny. So if you decide to do a torte style cake suggest adding less milk so the icing is thicker.
Aug 27, 2015
This cake was good, but the next day the malted milk balls on the top got soggy.