Chocolate Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 30 min.
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes (about 3 cups)
- Confectioners' sugar or whipped cream, optional
- In a small microwave-wave bowl, melt chocolate; stir until smooth.
- Stir in cream; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, milk, egg, vanilla and salt. Stir in chocolate mixture. Add bread cubes and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Spoon into two greased 2-cup souffle dishes. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- If desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar or top with a dollop of whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 622 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 656mg sodium, 105g carbohydrate (79g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
May 9, 2013
I absolutely love this recipe, super simple and super yum!
Apr 12, 2011
This is so good and easy to prepare. Great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Feb 15, 2009
Absolutely delicious. Especially good when served with melted semisweet chocolate or hot fudge sauce. I shared the recipe with my sister who used banana bread and said it was a hit with her friends.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.