Chocolate Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 30 min.
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices day-old bread, crusts removed and cut into cubes (about 3 cups)
- Confectioners' sugar or whipped cream, optional
- In a small microwave-wave bowl, melt chocolate; stir until smooth.
- Stir in cream; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, milk, egg, vanilla and salt. Stir in chocolate mixture. Add bread cubes and toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Spoon into two greased 2-cup souffle dishes. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- If desired, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar or top with a dollop of whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 622 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 656mg sodium, 105g carbohydrate (79g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 9, 2013
I absolutely love this recipe, super simple and super yum!
Apr 12, 2011
This is so good and easy to prepare. Great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Feb 15, 2009
Absolutely delicious. Especially good when served with melted semisweet chocolate or hot fudge sauce. I shared the recipe with my sister who used banana bread and said it was a hit with her friends.